Simple is GOOD. Simple and healthy is BETTER. Simple, healthy and delicious is the BEST! This one-pot meal is easy to throw together on a busy weeknight and works really well with leftovers. In fact, I think it gets better!
This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
If you decide to use Zoodles (zucchini noodles) cut with the Spiralizer, consider trying the noodles completely raw first. The hot sauce will warm them and leave you with a really satisfying pasta alternative. If you do prefer than slightly cooked you can add them to the dish, stirring to heat or simply microwave for 30-60 seconds.
If you do not own a Spiralizer, you may simply cut your zucchini into long, 1/4″ strips lengthwise and then cut those long, flat pieces into thin Zoodles or use a peeler to create long ribbons. Read more about Zoodles options here.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1, 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4oz sliced baby portabello mushrooms (1/2 package)
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear for 1 minute on each side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Saute peppers, onion, and mushrooms for 6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add in canned tomatoes, basil, and sundried tomatoes. Stir to mix.
- Add in chicken and lightly simmer for 12-15 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta or zucchini noodles.
- Top with grated Parmesan, if desired.
Brandice Lardner is a Certified Personal Trainer, Nutrition Coach, Author, and Jesus Girl whose mission in life is to help women ditch the diet mentality and find peace with food and their bodies so that they are better equipped to do the great things God has called them to do.