Avocado, egg, bacon and blue cheese. Not exactly the burger toppers you’d expect to see for a healthy recipe. If you are anything like me, you love Cobb salad but are not a fan of its Whopper® of calories and fat. The great thing about rich, decadent ingredients is that you don’t need a lot of them to flavor your food. A slice of bacon and sprinkling of blue cheese give you a zing of flavor without weighing you down.
I have made this recipe with both turkey breast and ground chicken. Turkey breast is very low if fat and tends to dry out more easily in cooking but the addition of avocado helps to keep it moist. The ground chicken has a little more flavor because of it’s added fat. Check the package label because fat content can vary greatly depending on the producer. Some will use more or less breast meat. If you or someone else you are cooking for is not looking to keep their plate lean, feel free to add more toppings.
I got the idea to add avocado to a burger patty from my friend Ali at Imperfectly Balanced.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Haas avocado, diced
- 2 slices bacon, cooked to your liking
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 hard boiled egg, sliced
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 4 tablespoons ligt Ranch dressing for serving (optional)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns (optional)
- Begin cooking bacon to your liking.
- Heat grill to medium.
- In a medium size bowl combine the ground turkey, green onions, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the diced avocado to the ground turkey mixture and lightly mix. Form in 4 burgers.
- Spray a piece of foil generously with cooking spray. Grill the turkey burgers on the foil to avoid sticking and losing precious avocado. Cook approximately 7-10 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Sprinkle burgers with blue cheese just before removing from grill.
- Assemble burgers laying from bottom to top: bottom burger bun, arugula, tomato slice, burger, ½ piece of bacon, hard boiled egg slice, drizzle of ranch (if desired), top burger bun.