10 Bible verses for weight loss motivation. FREE PRINTABLE! Your diet is about more than simply losing weight- it has eternal significance in your Christian life. These scriptures and how to’s will help you apply simple truths to your life!
He didn’t expect it to go quite this way. But, when he heard the priest recite the scrolls containing God’s instructions, he took them seriously. He knew he was to pray and yet the King had ordered that no prayer or praise was to be given to the Lord.
Daniel chose obedience and he found himself in a very precarious situation. Cast into a lion’s den due to his bold prayer he was miraculously delivered by God’s mighty hand!
What is your favorite Bible story? From David & Goliath to Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, the Word of God is brimming with examples of believers who heard instruction from God, acted upon them, and experienced great victory in the Lord.
This is power and strength both you and I have access to.
2 Corinthians 10:3-6 NJV For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.
Here you will find 10 Bible verses for weight loss motivation. We’re not talking a “quick fix” here. We’re looking for a heart change that leads to a body change!
10 BIBLE VERSES FOR WEIGHT LOSS
1. Proverbs 16:3 NLT Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.
Let’s be real. Weight loss is often a self-centered pursuit and yet we hope that God will bless and strengthen our efforts. When we commit our goals, plans, and passing on the second cookie to Him, He will show up in a big way.
2. 2 Chronicles 20:12b NKJV “For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You.”
Weight loss and healthy eating can be confusing (to say the least). One expert tells us to eat whole grains while another says to avoid them like the plague. What is a girl to do? Our health is under attack but we are not in this battle on our own. When we don’t know what to do, we can seek direction from The One who does.
3. Isaiah 26:3 NKJV You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.
How many of your extra pounds are due to stress or anxiety that sends you to food for comfort and distraction? What would happen to the desire to eat outside of hunger if you had complete and total peace? We are served to not only seek peace but to pursue peace (Psalm 31:14).
RELATED POST: How the Bible Can Make You Binge Proof
4. Nehemiah 8:10c NKJV “Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
Much like peace preempts the need to eat, joy ministers strength to our spirits. What would it look like for you to intentionally add supernatural joy to your life? When joy fills our empty spaces, they cease to exist.
5. 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
If you have tried to lose weight and failed, it probably weighs on you. Maybe you are timid in your attempts to try yet again. It will serve you well to recognize that this is NOT the Spirit of God. Reject the faulty thinking and choose thoughts that align with God’s Word!
6. Romans 8:5-6 NKJV For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
If we are honest with ourselves, we know when we are listening to the voice of the flesh. We can try to justify our poor decisions but the end result of those choices are going to lead us somewhere that we do not want to go.
Rather than putting on blinders, seek the Holy Spirit’s perspective to guide you! We have no obligation to the flesh (Romans 8:12-13).
RELATED POST: Has Weight Loss Become More Important Than Your Faith?
7. Jeremiah 15:16 NKJV Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.
The Word of God is living and active (Hebrews 4:12). When we eat food that is “alive” (not processed), we give life to our bodies. When we “ingest” the sustenance that the Bible contains by reading and thinking about what it says, we find true joy and satisfaction.
8. John 6:35 NKJV And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.
The Bread of Life. If you struggle with moderating your food choices, then complete and total satiation probably sounds pretty dreamy to you. This verse promises that very thing to us!
When an unexpected urge to eat hits, consider how you can fill up on the True Bread.
RELATED POST: 15 Ways to Glorify God in Your Eating
9. 1 Corinthians 9:27 NLT I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
Changing habits isn’t easy but our mindset can make the switch more difficult or much easier– you get to choose! When you view saying “no” to your flesh as saying “yes” to the dreams God has in store for you, passing on the food goes from a drag to purposeful and invigorating.
10. 1 Corinthians 10:31 NKJV Whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, you must do all to the glory of God.
And no compilation of Bible Verses for Weight Loss would be complete without this gem! This verse reminds us that every decision we make from food and drink to how we work and maintain our homes can be done for His glory.
This is not a pursuit of perfection. Far from it, in fact. This is a FOCUS.
PUTTING FAITH IN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS
As a Christian who wants to lose weight, your first inclination may be to search for help with a diet or exercise plan. And, while it is helpful and often necessary to find practical guidance, it is easy to miss the spiritual aspects of our battle.
Just by being here you have proven that you want to put your faith in your health and fitness journey. Here are a few steps to get you started:
- Download the Bible Verses for Weight Loss devotional cards and print them out (ideally on cardstock).
- Cut out the cards and place them around your home. Toss one in your wallet, tape one to the bathroom mirror, and definitely attach one to your fridge and/or kitchen cabinets.
- When temptation hits, grab a card and flee the scene! Remove yourself from the temptation and pray that God will strengthen you. Then crowd out those food thoughts with the verse.
- Want more? Why not try to read the entire Bible in 90 days!
Looking for more? Check out these 10 Bible Verses posts:
- 10 Bible Verses About Food
- 10 Bible Verses About Overeating
- 10 Bible Verses About Self Control
- 10 Bible Verses About Healthy Eating