I love recipes that makeover less nutritious dishes that taste BETTER than their previous version. In this dish, I use Angel Hair pasta with Clam Sauce. With experimentation, I have found that angel hair pasta is a great option as it offers more noodles per box to soak up the clam sauce deliciousness.
Most traditional recipes call for a bottle of clam sauce. That’s great but what about the clams? Here I swap out the clam juice with an additional can of clams. Because more clams is definitely better!
I haven’t been brave enough to try this dish with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles but I’d love to hear a report back if you try. Sometimes, it’s just worth eating the higher calorie option and choosing a smaller portion. That’s another benefit of Angel Hair pasta- it just feels like more!
Serve this dish with an Italian salad made with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, thinly-sliced carrots, black olives, and a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3, 6.5oz canned chopped clams
- 12oz box whole wheat angel hair pasta
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Start to heat water to boil the angel hair pasta. Cook pasta to al dente as you proceed with the following instructions.
- In a medium saucepan heat oil and melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, basil and black pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the canned clams into the saucepan. Heat to a simmer. Add clams to heat through.
- Mix clam sauce with pasta, plate, and serve, topped with parmesan.